Stock market news live updates: S&P 500, Dow post record closing highs after Moderna releases upbeat vaccine efficacy data
The Dow and S&P 500 soared to record closing highs on Monday after Moderna (MRNA) became the latest major drug-maker to announce upbeat data for its COVID-19 vaccine candidate, building on hopes that an effective inoculation will soon be available.
2nd vaccine shows early success in U.S. tests
For the second time this month, there's promising news from a COVID-19 vaccine candidate: Moderna said Monday its shots provide strong protection, a dash of hope against the grim backdrop of coronavirus surges in the U.S. and around the world. Moderna said its vaccine appears to be 94.5% effective, according to preliminary data from the company’s still ongoing study. A week ago, competitor Pfizer Inc. announced its own COVID-19 vaccine appeared similarly effective — news that puts both companies on track to seek permission within weeks for emergency use in the U.S.
2nd virus vaccine shows striking success in US tests
A second experimental COVID-19 vaccine — this one from Moderna Inc. — yielded extraordinarily strong early results Monday, another badly needed dose of hope as the pandemic enters a terrible new phase. Moderna said its vaccine appears to be 94.5% effective, according to preliminary data from an ongoing study. A week ago, competitor Pfizer Inc. announced its own vaccine looked 90% effective — news that puts both companies on track to seek permission within weeks for emergency use in the U.S.
Stock market news live updates: S&P 500 jumps to record close as Wall Street ends the week with a rally
Stocks jumped Friday as the three major averages looked to end the week on a high note. Equities had fallen on Thursday as a record jump in COVID-19 cases, renewed stimulus concerns and tempered vaccine hopes all came into play.
Trump admin. 'has done nothing' to help schools
As COVID-19 cases rise across the U.S., school districts are contemplating whether or not to shut down schools and shift to remote learning. The debate over in-person vs. remote learning has been one of the most contentious topics of the pandemic. Randi Weingarten, American Federation of Teachers (AFT) president joined Yahoo Finance to discuss how the coronavirus is affecting schools and why she believes the U.S. education system is again in this precarious position.
Stock market news live updates: Stocks extend declines as vaccine rally cools further, daily COVID-19 cases hit record
Stocks fell Thursday, with the Dow and S&P 500 adding to Wednesday’s losses as optimism over a COVID-19 vaccine moderated further. The virus situation worsened in the U.S., with new COVID-19 cases hitting a record more than 152,000 on Wednesday alone, according to data from Johns Hopkins University and Bloomberg.
The Latest from our Partners
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- Ready to Withdraw from Your Retirement Accounts? Do it in This Order
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Simple Mortgage Math May Save You Thousands
- Refinance rates at 2.34% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- Homeowners are reducing interest by up to 40%
- How to get the cheapest life insurance online
- I got a $1 million life insurance policy before having a family. Here’…
- How Policygenius helps you get the cheapest life insurance online
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Conquer your debt with 0% Intro APR
- This card can get you $200 fast (It's so simple!)
- 5 spectacular cards for those with excellent credit